I thrive in this weather

by Katie on July 7, 2011

July 2, 2011:  Phoenix reached 118 degrees. A record setting heat day. Little did we know, the next day would be the real kicker, even though temperatures wouldn’t reach nearly as high.

July 3, 2011:  By 5:30am, it was the balmiest, steamiest, swampiest, most Texas-Gulf-Coast-like day I’ve experienced in the desert. It was also the day we had decided to give our employees the day off. Which meant the day’s irrigating chores fell on…us.

I was first on the scene, and provided ample warning for Brandon. I basically let him know it was very similar to walking across campus at Texas A&M on a not-so-crisp fall morning. Translation:  you walk out the front door and immediately feel like you need to shower again.

But at least Brandon knew what to expect when he got out there. I jumped right in the thick of it without a clue. Not a nice surprise in the early morning. And with it being that bad so early, I knew only worse would follow. So I hunkered down, put on my game face, and got busy with the goal of returning to the wonders of air conditioning as soon as we finished.

Brandon, on the other hand, just couldn’t get over how awful the weather was when he arrived to join me on the ditch bank. I think every word that came out of his mouth for a solid hour was a complaint about the awful weather. Don’t get me wrong, I was just as miserable, and thought the weather to be equally awful, I just didn’t see a point in voicing my concerns.

Finally, after we had finished one field and were moving on to the next, Brandon asked how on earth I could refrain from vocal complaints about the humid, muggy, foggy, steamy, air-standing-still, feel-like-you’re-a-turkey-in-a-smoker weather. Definitely not the dry heat Arizona is known for. And respected for, in my book.

To which I replied, “What are you talking about? This is the weather that raised me. I thrive in this weather, Baby.”

Which is true. Except for the thrive part. That may have been overstated a little. I think my body forgot how to do that after its desert acclimation.

A little after 1pm, we were both standing directly under the ceiling fan in the living room – the coolest room in our house – and Brandon said, “I’m not going back out there. No way.”

And we did not. Not until after 6pm. Then, of course, we were out working until midnight. But still, a much better alternative to braving that kind of weather. Whether it raised me or not.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: