And so begins summer

by Katie on March 10, 2011

That’s right. Summer. It’s supposed to get up to 88 degrees here today, the smell of fresh cut alfalfa is all over town (including our fields) and we’re beginning to work around the clock. Winter vacation officially over.

Brandon took the first nigh-shift that began last night, and ended with my wake-up call at a surprisingly, yet pleasantly, late 3:30am. From there, I was off to the races.

It started with a mad dash to get some water changed on the far west end of the farm, which I was late getting to due to receiving instructions and listening to Brandon’s tale of calling 9-1-1 last night to report some farm trespassers (who, 20 minutes and four cops later, turned out to be steaming up windows, not pilfering equipment).

From there, I had to make a quick turnaround to get fertilizer turned on for a head of water that was supposed to get turned into the field at 5am. When I arrived, the water was just getting set up, and not yet headed down the ditch, so I drove to the other end of the farm to pick up an extra check or two Brandon had used during the night.

All was going well, until I was about halfway back to the fertilizer tank when I heard a “clunk…clunk…clunk” through my open window. So, I got out to inspect the damage.

I basically and no tire left on my back passenger wheel.

So there I was.

In the dark, 5am, no one around, in the middle of our farm, with fertilizer that needed to be on that very second, and no option for help aside from my husband who had only been sleeping for an hour and a half.

I was almost in tears as I selected his name in my “Recent Calls” list, really not wanting to wake the poor guy up.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about, as my call did not wake him anyway. (This is pretty common. There have been several times where he’s been sleeping and I have literally made 17 phone calls right in a row. All unanswered. He sleeps that hard.)

So after looking around and going through my options again, I picked up our headlamp, turned it on, stuck the baby bottle and fertilizer chart in my jacket pockets, and took off running for the fertilizer tank, 3/4 a mile away.

Once that was accomplished, I felt better. I mean, at least I was not failing at my job any longer.

But now, I was still stuck in the field, in the dark, alone, with no one to call for help. The way I saw it, I only had one option. Thank goodness I was only one mile from our house.

So, off I went, running down the road in my farm work clothes with a baby bottle hanging out of my pocket, and a giant headlamp strapped on my forehead. I’m sure everyone who passed me on their morning commute thought I was a complete nut-case. But, I made it home, where I retrieved a new truck, went back to pick up my gear from the broken one, and got back to work.

Sometime a few hours later, Brandon called, informing me someone else’s call had woken him, and he had seen the missed one from me. I relayed my story of my 1.75 mile run in the dark, in my work clothes, and let him know our employee had arrived and I had him fixing the tire.

All he said was, “Well, sounds to me like you handled that situation pretty well,” and then said goodbye.

I had wanted to exercise today. I was just planning on at least wearing tennis shoes.

But, like I told my sister when she called an hour later (after I had run into two more problems, mind you), this is our summer. We better get ready.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: